Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day Seven - Waikiki and other adventures

Well, once again I think I missed a day of posting. I hope everyone enjoyed Craig's "White Chocolate" blog post - of course, that was Day Six for those who are keeping track.

Day Seven was Friday the 29th. Craig spent the morning dealing with work and writing the blog entry which he did a great job on. That's why I hope he chooses to write for us more often. We spent the first part of the day at the pool in the morning, and then the lagoon (near the ocean) in the afternoon. The lagoon faces west and that way you can watch the sun as it starts to sink into the horizon. Friday was also the day we finally broke out and blew up one of the lounge/rafts we brought along. It was so relaxing to just float in the crystal clear waters. Of course, Friday was the first day that I can truly say I got way too much sun. My tan has a reddish hue shall we say. I'm trying to be more careful!

Friday evening we left Ko'Olina and headed for The Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki - about a 45 minute drive. We had planned on meeting my friend, Barb and her husband, Bill for dinner. The fun part of this is - Barb is someone I had never actually met in person. She has been a friend for almost 2 years from the Weight Watchers web-site. We have been on challenge teams together, and even been work-out accountability partners. So when we learned we would both be in Hawai'i at the same time, we had to take advantage of the opportunity.

As we made our way into downtown, we were grateful to have our GPS system with us. Let me tell you, some folks come to Hawai'i and all they ever see of it is Waikiki which is a shame. For us, one trip into the city is about all we can take. Imagine one of the biggest cosmopolitan cities you have ever visited, remember what it's like to navigate those kind of streets, and then take into account the fact that the Hawaiian language has all the normal vowels we have but only like 7 consonants and all the words have lots of multiple vowels all running together. It can take some getting used to! And, there is lots of traffic and people everywhere - well, we finally found it - Craig let me off and Barb and I found each other right away and then Craig spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out where to park.

Dinner was very nice and we enjoyed our time with Barb and Bill. But oh were we glad to get out of the city and back to Ko'Olina where the pace of life is much more what we want out of a vacation. And yes, we drove the whole way back with the convertible top down! And me with my jacket on to keep from freezing with the night air whizzing by. Gotta love it!

No comments: