Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 12 - A Wonderful Birthday...

Sigh - it is still my birthday in Hawai'i but at home it has come and gone. What a truly nice day I had. I feel so blessed.

I had e-mail birthday wishes from several folks and e-cards from every member of my family (human and animal) at home thanks to Joanie - our faithful friend and roommate holding down the fort. It was wonderful to talk to mom and receive her birthday greetings live on the phone. As I reflect on the day I think of birthday wishes from folks like Sherly, my care group leader's wife who is currently in Australia awaiting the birth of her second grandchild; and Annemarie, a good friend and pastor's wife currently in Wales; Barb, my Weight Watcher friend who I had dinner with here in Hawai'i last Friday night. If you take all these meaningful wishes they practically span the globe. Wow.

This morning I cut up a real pineapple we got at the store last week and used our special knife we bought at the Dole Plantation - it works great! We had another wonderful day at the pool - I finished my second book and went to the book exchange shelf to pick out a third. We had our dinner here at "Chuck's" at the resort - honest it is much nicer than it sounds. Our table was right by the koi pond and overlooked palm trees and the sunset. I had the special - sirloin steak and Alaskan Crab Legs - my favorite, and Craig had a sirloin steak with scallops. The meal came with a lovely salad bar and a loaded baked potato. We had a nice bottle of wine and a lobster appetizer, and they brought dessert with a candle in it since it was my birthday - it was something like a chocolate, mocha macadamia nut ice cream cake thing-y. We were full when we left - that's for sure. So we took a romantic stroll around the lagoon and then came back to sit in lounge chairs and listen to live music playing at the outdoor cafe. A wonderful end to a great day. I think I want to come back to Hawai'i every year and celebrate my birthday. Hint-hint, dear!

Time for bed. We are going back up towards the North Shore tomorrow into the town of Hale'iwa - we will probably get their famous shaved ice again as well as have a meal at a great Mexican place we've heard of. We are planning out all our final meals so we get in everything we want to.

Thanks again to each of you who made my birthday special.

No comments: