Friday, February 6, 2009

Day #14 - The sun sets on a wonderful vacation


Day #14 A wonderful last day in Maui. Breakfast and morning activities were on your own. For me (Jeannie) I headed out to my favorite little coffee shop for some internet time. It was wonderful once again and I had another cup of herbal tea – must be helping me to feel better. And also had the nicest surprise – I ran into the couple from the other day with Celine, their dog. I also spent some time at the Bank of Hawaii – going through state quarters looking for the Denver (“D”) mint since those are hard to find on the east coast. Even the front desk here let me look through their stash. Gotta get me some west coast friends who can be on the lookout for me so I can complete my collection.
Lunch was pretty much on your own as well. The Harvey men went out by the pool in the sun for the afternoon hours since it made a full appearance today. What a blessing! I joined them and we thoroughly enjoyed the last of our sun-basking before the thought of returning to the cold weather once again. One funny story about the pool and patio area…
There must have been some real high tides last night or a freak storm because the sea came over the retaining wall which is about 7 feet high. So this morning the maintenance staff here had quite a time vacuuming all that sand out of the pool and washing down the patio area by the cabanas. I’ve seen the surf come up to the base of the wall but to go over it enough to wash that much sand up was quite a wave!
For dinner we went next door to the Sands of Kahana, a sister resort to this one. They have their own restaurant. We caught a good deal, 2nd dinner entrĂ©e 50% off. We had a table right next to the beach where we could watch the beginnings of another beautiful sunset. Of course, the pool is also right there (remember, everything here is open air – no windows) and some of the folks had to be reprimanded for splashing us at our dinner table. We all enjoyed our selections; John & Doris had salmon, Craig had steak and shrimp and I had some local fish grilled with a macadamia nut crust on it. Figured it would be appropriate to have something like that on our last night in Hawaii.
For our last evening’s activity we drove back down towards Lahaina taking in the breathtaking sunset views along the way. Our final shopping destination…Hilo Hattie’s where Craig and his father got matching silk Hawaiian shirts. And now all have retired to their rooms for final packing, LOST watching or whatever else suits our fancy.
I plan on getting up early tomorrow to make the most of our last hours here. We check out at 11 a.m. for a 2:30-ish flight from here to San Francisco where we have an hour + layover and then we fly into Dulles landing Saturday morning at 6:30 a.m. Whew – just the thought of all that flying again wears me out. But, it will be good to get home. I will try to post one last picture to go with this post in the morning.
And it will be of the beautiful final sunset of this vacation...

No comments: